Organic search marketing, often referred to as SEO is not an easy gig. Of course there are those out there who say that SEO is a farce or that SEO can be done by anyone. I disagree on both accounts. For me organic search marketing has never been about search engine manipulation. It has always been about providing content around a given topic and creating a theme around this topic. Keyword selection is a key piece of organic search marketing and we all know that keyword research is on-going, and with increased competition it can be difficult to gain an online presence for highly relevant yet competitive key phrases. Factor in all of Google”s algorithm changes and we begin to see how organic search marketing becomes increasingly challenging in a hurry.
Improving Organic Search Marketing Efforts in 2012
So what can we do to to improve organic search marketing efforts in 2012? We have compiled some tips for improving organic search marketing efforts.
- Understand and respect the search engine algorithms – pay attention to what Google and Bing are doing. Constantly perform spot checks for relevant key phrases to your business. Check out the organic search landscape. Which sites are consistently showing up? What are they doing from an optimization perspective to obtain this visibility? The engines factor in hundreds of items s with their ranking algorithms so pay attention to key components such as:
- Quality of content
- Uniqueness of content
- Quality of inbound links
- Site engagement
- Social engagement
- Architecture and URL issues
- Page Performance and page load times
- HTML 5
- Rich snippet markup
- Indexation of your site
- Canonical issues
- Coding issues
The key components of your organic search strategy for 2012 are not all that different from your 2011 strategy:
- proper keyword selection
- fresh, unique and high quality content
- some link popularity
- effective site engagement
- social mention
- the ability to be indexed by the engines
Paying attention to the above items will help you improve your organic search marketing efforts. While there will continue to be algorithm updates and increased online competition organic search marketing will continue to become more difficult. The better prepared you are, the more likely you will be to experience success.